Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Research & Training in Mental Health, Neurosciences & Drug & Alcohol Abuse
Director / Head:
Professor Oye Gureje
Department of Psychiatry, College of Medicine
University of Ibadan
University College Hospital, PMB 5116
(234-2) 2410 146
(234-2) 2410 489
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- Provide technical assistance towards the Revision of the ICD Chapter on Mental and Behavioral Disorders. This will be done in close collaboration with the Senior Project Officer for the Revision exercise and other participating WHO Collaborating Centers.
- Provide technical assistance towards the implementation of the Mental Health Gap Programme (mhGAP) in the sub-region. In implementing this TOR, the Center will work with the WHO Headquarters, the Regional Office as well as the relevant WHO Country Offices.
- Provide technical support to countries in the sub-region to develop and strengthen their health systems. The activities under this TOR will be designed and implemented in partnership with the relevant WHO Country Offices.
- Contribute to the implementation of the WHO Comprehensive Mental Health Action Plan 2013-2020. This TOR will be implemented in alignment with the Regional work plan developed by the WHO Regional Office.
- Mental health & neurosciences
- Substance abuse (including alcohol & drugs)
- Classifications of diseases
Types of activity:
- Implementation of WHO programmes and activities at country level
- Training and education
2.2.1 - Countries’ capacity strengthened to develop and implement national policies, plans and information systems in line with the comprehensive mental health action plan 2013–2020
2.2.2 - Countries with technical capacity to develop integrated mental health services across the continuum of promotion, prevention, treatment and recovery
2.2.3 - Expansion and strengthening of country strategies, systems and interventions for disorders caused by alcohol and other psychoactive substance use enabled
CHISHOLM Daniel Hugh
+41 22 791 4938
NKOMO Sebastiana Dos A K T Da Gama
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork