Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Human Nutrition
Director / Head:
Professor Jim Mann & Professor Rosalind Gibson
Department of Human Nutrition
University of Otago
University of Otago, Department of Human Nutrition, PO Box 56,
64 3 479 7719
(64-3) 479 7958
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To support WHO’s capacity building efforts in Nutrition in the Region and globally by facilitating training of nutrition professionals in the Region, in particular with regard to public health nutrition, clinical nutrition, clinical dietetics, food safety and nutrition research methodology.
- To carry out research in collaboration with WHO on specific issues of importance for WHO’s work in Nutrition (in the above mentioned areas).
- To provide technical support to governments and health professionals in WPR on human nutrition based on requests received from WHO.
- To provide technical inputs and to serve on relevant expert groups convened by WHO as and when requested by WHO.
- Food safety
Types of activity:
- Training and education
- Providing technical advise to WHO
WHO organization wide expected result:
9.1 - Partnerships and alliances formed, leadership built and coordination and networking developed with all stakeholders at country, regional and global levels, in order to promote advocacy and communication, stimulate intersectoral actions, increase investment in nutrition, food-safety and food-security interventions, and develop and support a research agenda.
9.2 - Norms, including references, requirements, research priorities, guidelines, training manuals and standards, produced and disseminated to Member States in order to increase their capacity to assess and respond to all forms of malnutrition, and zoonotic and non-zoonotic foodborne diseases, and to promote healthy dietary practices.
9.4 - Capacity built and support provided to target Member States for the development, strengthening and implementation of nutrition plans, policies and programmes aimed at improving nutrition throughout the life-course, in stable and emergency situations.
SOBEL Howard L.
+63 2 5289868
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork