Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for External Quality Assessment in Health Laboratory Services
Director / Head:
Mr Philip WAKEM
Pacific Paramedical Training Centre
P.O. Box 7013
(64-4) 389 6294
(64-4) 389 6295
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To organize & conduct external quality assessment programmes in microbiology, infectious diseases serology, haematology, biochemistry & transfusion science for the laboratory services of developing countries, especially those in the Pacific;
- To evaluate the results & to collaborate with the countries in improving the services in these fields through appropriate feedback programmes;
- To collaborate in training laboratory personnel from developing countries at different levels with emphasis on quality assurance;
- To collaborate in improving quality assurance and quality management systems of the health laboratory services in Pacific Island countries
- To provide technical advise to health laboratories in the Pacific region on request of WHO.
- Health Technology (including laboratory services; but excluding blood safety)
Types of activity:
- Provision of reference substances and other services
- Training and education
Ower: 11.1 - Formulation and monitoring of comprehensive national policies on access, quality and use of essential medical products and technologies advocated and supported.
Ower: 11.2 - International norms, standards and guidelines for the quality, safety, efficacy and cost effective use of medical products and technologies developed and their national and/or regional implementation advocated and supported.
Ower: 11.3 - Evidence based policy guidance on promoting scientifically sound and cost-effective use of medical products and technologies by health workers and consumers developed and supported within the Secretariat and regional and national programmes.
+63 2 5289026
VERCAUTEREN Gaby Henriette
+41 22 79 14728
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork