Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Nutrition
Director / Head:
Dr Joop van Raaij
Dr Wanda Bemelmans
Centre for Prevention and Health Services Research
National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVM)
P.O. Box 1
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To work with WHO on the development, implementation and evaluation of national and international food consumption surveys, nutritional status surveys, and physical activity and overweight surveys; and on request of WHO, to provide specialized related training courses
- To assist WHO in epidemiological research on diet, lifestyle, and chronic diseases (in particular obesity, cancer, cardiovascular diseases, and diabetes) and in related cost calculation research and cost-effectiveness studies
- To contribute to WHO’s work plan on assessment of health benefits and health risks of dietary patterns and of consumption of foods (traditional, reformulated, functional) and food supplements
- To provide WHO with evidence on effectiveness, reach and costs of lifestyle interventions, on innovative enrichment of lifestyl interventions with social media.
- Health promotion & education
- Noncommunicable diseases other than those specifically mentioned
Types of activity:
- Product development (guidelines; manual; methodologies; etc.)
Ower: 3.2 - Guidance and support provided to Member States for the development and implementation of policies, strategies and regulations in respect of chronic noncommunicable diseases, mental and neurological disorders, violence, injuries and disabilities together with visual impairment, including blindness.
Ower: 3.4 - Improved evidence compiled by WHO on the cost-effectiveness of interventions to tackle chronic noncommunicable diseases, mental and neurological and substance-use disorders, violence, injuries and disabilities together with visual impairment, including blindness.
Ower: 9.1 - Partnerships and alliances formed, leadership built and coordination and networking developed with all stakeholders at country, regional and global levels, in order to promote advocacy and communication, stimulate intersectoral actions, increase investment in nutrition, food-safety and food-security interventions, and develop and support a research agenda.
RODRIGUES DA SILVA BREDA Joao Joaquim
+45 45 33 67 25
+41 22 79 11025
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork