Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Arbovirus and Haemorrhagic Fever Reference and Research
Director / Head:
Dr Marion Koopmans
Department of Virology, Erasmus MC
Erasmus University Hospital Rotterdam
Room Ee 1726- Postbus 2040
(31-10) 704 4066
(31-10) 704 4760
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To identify & characterize arbovirus & haemorrhagic fever viruses and virus strains.
- To perform serological diagnosis of arbovirus & haemorrhagic fever diseases. To undertake serological surveys for detection of antibodies to certain arboviruses & haemorrhagic fever in selected areas.
- To investigate the epidemiology, diagnosis, pathogenesis & treatment of arboviruses & haemorrhagic fevers pathogenic for humans.
- To maintain prototype & reference strains of arboviruses & haemorrhagic fevers and provide limited quantities of reference reagents to collaborating laboratories for the diagnosis of arboviruses & haemorrhagic fevers.
- To actively participate in efforts to recognize & investigate unusual disease occurrences & outbreaks which may appear.
- To collect & disseminate epidemiological & technical information on arboviruses & haemorrhagic fevers.
- To assist in training on laboratory techniques necessary for virus isolation, characterization, diagnosis, & related procedures routinely used in the investigation of arboviruses & haemorrhagic fevers.
- Viral hemorrhagic fevers
- Viral diseases other than those specifically mentioned
Types of activity:
- Provision of reference substances and other services
- Training and education
Ower: 1.7 - Member States and the international community equipped to detect, assess, respond to and cope with major epidemic and pandemic-prone diseases (e.g. influenza, meningitis, yellow fever, haemorrhagic fevers, plague and smallpox) through the development and implementation of tools, methodologies, practices, networks and partnerships for prevention, detection, preparedness and intervention.
FORMENTY Pierre B.H.
+41 22 79 12550
+45 45 33 66 80
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork