Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Risk Assessment of Pathogens in Food and Water
Director / Head:
Prof. Arie Havelaar
Laboratory for Zoonoses and Environmental Microbiology
National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVM)
Antonie van Leeuwenhoeklaan 9 P.O. Box, 1
(31-20) 274 2661
(31-20) 274 4434
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To assist WHO in the development and application of microbial risk assessment (MRA) as a component of the evidence base for the effective control of microbial hazards in food and water to human health.
- To assist WHO in the development of guidelines for surveillance and control of foodborne viruses.
- To assist WHO in the establishment of the global burden of foodborne illness.
- To assist WHO in the development and implementation of guidelines for drinking-water ,recreational water and wastewater quality.
- To support WHO in establishing at the country level the burden of foodborne disease and in risk assessment of antimicrobial resistance in food and water.
- Environmental health and hazards other than those specifically mentioned
- Food safety
- Health information; statistics; measurement & trend assessment
Types of activity:
- Providing technical advise to WHO
- Coordination of activities carried out by several institutions (e.g. other WHO collaborating centres)
- Training and education
Ower: 9.5 - Systems for surveillance, prevention and control of zoonotic and non-zoonotic foodborne diseases strengthened; food-hazard monitoring and evaluation programmes established and integrated into existing national surveillance systems, and results disseminated to all key players.
CAWTHORNE Amy Louise
+41 22 791 1963
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork