Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Primary Oral Health Care
Director / Head:
Dr. Jawad Behbehani
Faculty of Dentistry
University of Kuwait
PO Box 24923
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- 1.To assist WHO ORH in identifying countries around the globe having established Primary Oral Health Care (POHC) programmes and analysis of programme components included for provision of oral health care and oral health promotion.
- 2. To assist WHO ORH in assessment of the practical experiences and relevance of using primary health workers and ancillary oral health personnel in low-resource communities.
- 3. To assist WHO ORH in development of appropriate models for POHC applicable to low-, middle- and high income countries
- 4. To assist WHO ORH in development of guidelines for essential care to countries/communities based on the evidence available and practical experience
- 5. To support the development of surveillance systems for assessment of outcomes of primary oral health care and school-based oral health promotion.
- 6. To assist WHO ORH in orientation of oral health systems towards health promotion, with emphasis on provision of evidence-based intervention and practical community approaches in oral health promotion and oral disease prevention.
- romotion and oral disease prevention
7. To promote the global development of the Health Promoting Schools Initiative through establishment of school-based oral health promotion in the African and Middle-East countries.
- 8. To assist WHO ORH in translation of scientific knowledge for oral health intervention and bridging the gap in research between the developing and developed countries
- Oral health
- Noncommunicable diseases other than those specifically mentioned
- Health promotion & education
Types of activity:
- Information dissemination
Ower: 3.1 - Advocacy and support provided to increase political, financial and technical commitment in Member States in order to tackle chronic noncommunicable diseases, mental and behavioural disorders, violence, injuries and disabilities together with visual impairment, including blindness.
Ower: 6.1 - Advice and support provided to Member States to build their capacity for health promotion across all relevant programmes, and to establish effective multisectoral and multidisciplinary collaborations for promoting health and preventing or reducing major risk factors.
+41 22 79 13299
HUSSAIN Syed Jaffar
+9626 5504700 Ext 2523
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork