Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Acquired Immuno Deficiency Syndrome
Director / Head:
Prof. Widad Al- Nakib
Virology Unit, Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine
University of Kuwait
Faculty of Medicine, University of Kuwait
(965) 4986560, 9867037
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- 1. Hold annual symposia on 'Recent Advances in Clinical Virology' in collaboration with EMRO every year from 2009-2012. All the symposia will cover aspects of Recent Advances in the study of HIV/AIDS.
- 2. Hold annual training workshops on the application of molecular techniques in the diagnosis and management of HIV/AIDS in the Eastern Mediterranean Region in collaboration with EMRO every year from 2009-2012.
- 3. Virological Consultations for the Eastern Mediterranean region.
- 4. Reference work for HIV drug resistance, sequencing, confirmation and genotyping.
Types of activity:
- Collection; collation and dissemination of information
- Providing technical advise to WHO
WHO organization wide expected result:
2.2 - Policy and technical support provided to countries towards expanded gender-sensitive delivery of prevention, treatment and care interventions for HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria, including integrated training and service delivery; wider service-provider networks; and strengthened laboratory capacities and better linkages with other health services, such as those for sexual and reproductive health, maternal, newborn and child health, sexually transmitted infections, nutrition, drug-dependence treatment service respiratory care, neglected diseases and environmental health.
2.5 - Political commitment sustained and mobilization of resources ensured through advocacy and nurturing of partnerships on HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria at country, regional and global levels; support provided to countries as appropriate to develop or strengthen and implement mechanisms for resource mobilization and utilization and increase the absorption capacity of available resources; and engagement of communities and affected persons increased to maximize the reach and performance of HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria control programmes.
HERMEZ Joumana George
+41 22 79 14685
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork