Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Acquired Immuno Deficiency Syndrome
Director / Head:
Prof. Widad Al- Nakib
Dr Widad Al-Nakib
Virology Unit, Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine
University of Kuwait
Faculty of Medicine, University of Kuwait
(965) 24986560, 99867037
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- In collaboration with WHO, act as a Regional resource lab for special HIV& STI-related tests including genotyping and drug resistance testing or surveillance studies.
- In coordination with WHO/EMRO, provide in-country and distance technical support services to member states in the EMR in relation to developing their HIV laboratory capacity, setting their standards and training their staff using the WHO-recommended public health approach for low and middle income countries.
- In collaboration with WHO/EMRO, Hold basic and advanced symposia, courses and workshops to train individuals from different countries in the EMR on HIV/AIDS and STI laboratory policies, technologies, quality control and quality assurance.
- Sexually transmitted diseases (excluding HIV/AIDS)
Types of activity:
- Training and education
- Implementation of WHO programmes and activities at country level
- Providing technical advise to WHO
Ower: 2.2 - Policy and technical support provided to countries towards expanded gender-sensitive delivery of prevention, treatment and care interventions for HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria, including integrated training and service delivery; wider service-provider networks; and strengthened laboratory capacities and better linkages with other health services, such as those for sexual and reproductive health, maternal, newborn and child health, sexually transmitted infections, nutrition, drug-dependence treatment service respiratory care, neglected diseases and environmental health.
Ower: 2.5 - Political commitment sustained and mobilization of resources ensured through advocacy and nurturing of partnerships on HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria at country, regional and global levels; support provided to countries as appropriate to develop or strengthen and implement mechanisms for resource mobilization and utilization and increase the absorption capacity of available resources; and engagement of communities and affected persons increased to maximize the reach and performance of HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria control programmes.
HERMEZ Joumana George
You can also contact:
- RIEDNER Gabriele
+41 22 79 11691
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork