Title of the centre:
WHO collaborating centre for plague
Director / Head:
Dr Bakyt Atshabar
Aikimbayev's Kazakh Scientific Centre for Quarantine and Zoonotic Diseases
7 3272 510 293
7 3272 570 641
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To provide laboratory diagnostic support in confirming & characterizing Yersinia pestis isolates, including antibiotic resistance, at national levels or, through WHO, at international levels.
- To maintain a regional bank of strains.
- To provide Member States with free reference tests at the request of WHO and to provide WHO with the corresponding validation documentation.
- Through WHO to provide consultation on surveillance, control programmes and strategy development for prevention of plague at regional and global levels.
- To train national health workers at regional or global levels in laboratory diagnosis, surveillance and control of human and zoonotic plague.
- To assist WHO in providing support in plague outbreak/epidemic situations at global level and in Central Asia.
- To prepare reports on any plague event as well as annual reports on the epidemiological & epizoological situation of plague in Central Asia. To submit these reports to WHO.
- To submit an annual activity report to WHO.
- Bacterial diseases other than those specifically mentioned
- Communicable diseases other than those specifically mentioned
Types of activity:
- Collection; collation and dissemination of information
- Providing technical advise to WHO
- Development and application of appropriate technology
WHO organization wide expected result:
1.7 - Member States and the international community equipped to detect, assess, respond to and cope with major epidemic and pandemic-prone diseases (e.g. influenza, meningitis, yellow fever, haemorrhagic fevers, plague and smallpox) through the development and implementation of tools, methodologies, practices, networks and partnerships for prevention, detection, preparedness and intervention.
BERTHERAT Eric Gerard Georges
+41 22 79 14608
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork