Title of the centre:
World Health Organization Collaborating Centre for Plague
Director / Head:
Dr Bakyt Atshabar
Aikimbayev's Kazakh Scientific Centre for Quarantine and Zoonotic Diseases
+7 7272 510 293
+7 7272 570 641
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To provide WHO with a technical expertise on Yersinia strains identification and susceptibility to antibiotics as well as on epidemiological surveillance and outbreak investigation and control.
- To participate in trainings on pathogenic Yersinia laboratory diagnosis, surveillance and control of human and zoonotic plague.
- To maintain a collection of reference strains and to provide, when possible, other laboratories with reference materials.
- Bacterial diseases other than those specifically mentioned
- Communicable diseases other than those specifically mentioned
Types of activity:
- Collection; collation and dissemination of information
- Providing technical advise to WHO
- Development and application of appropriate technology
WHO organization wide expected result:
1.7 - Member States and the international community equipped to detect, assess, respond to and cope with major epidemic and pandemic-prone diseases (e.g. influenza, meningitis, yellow fever, haemorrhagic fevers, plague and smallpox) through the development and implementation of tools, methodologies, practices, networks and partnerships for prevention, detection, preparedness and intervention.
BERTHERAT Eric Gerard Georges
+41 22 79 14608
+45 45 33 66 80
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork