Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Translation of Oral Health Science
Director / Head:
Dr Hideo MIYAZAKI
Department of Oral Health Science, Division of Preventive Dentistry
Niigata University Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences
2-5274 Gakkocho-dori, Chuo-ku
(81-25) 227 2856
(81-25) 227 0807
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To assist WHO to initiate epidemiological studies and promote standardisation of data collection for oral diseases (in particular periodontal diseases) to provide quality information to the WHO Global Oral Health database.
- To support WHO in dissemination of the evidence on interrelationships oral health-general health-quality of life to strengthen oral health components into public health programmes.
- To assist WHO in application of the evidence on school oral health promotion through primary prevention.
- To expand linkages with dental public health institutions in WPRO countries and to provide post-graduate training courses in oral health promotion and disease prevention.
- To assist WHO in establishment of World Directory of Dental Schools.
Types of activity:
- Collection and collation of information
- Training and education
Ower: 3.3 - Improvements made in Member States’ capacity to collect, analyse, disseminate and use data on the magnitude, causes and consequences of chronic noncommunicable diseases, mental and neurological disorders, violence, injuries and disabilities together with visual impairment, including blindness.
Ower: 6.1 - Advice and support provided to Member States to build their capacity for health promotion across all relevant programmes, and to establish effective multisectoral and multidisciplinary collaborations for promoting health and preventing or reducing major risk factors.
Ower: 6.3 - Evidence-based and ethical policies, strategies, recommendations, standards and guidelines developed, and technical support provided to Member States with a high or increasing burden of disease and death associated with tobacco use, enabling them to strengthen institutions in order to tackle or prevent the public health problems concerned; support also provided to the Conference of the Parties to the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control for implementation of the provisions of the Convention and development and implementation of protocols and guidelines
+41 22 79 11014
+63 2 5289860
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork