Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Research and Training on Alcohol-Related Problems
Director / Head:
Dr Higuchi Susumu
Kurihama Medical and Addiction Center, National Hospital Organization
(81-46) 848 1550
(81-46) 849 7743
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- Contribution to implementation of the “WHO Global Strategy to Reduce the Harmful Use of Alcohol”
1. To develop/strengthen national monitoring systems for alcohol consumption, alcohol-related harm, and policy responses in Japan that are consistent with WHO global and regional information systems.
2. To develop and implement effective screening and brief intervention methods and procedures to reduce harmful alcohol use in Japan.
3. To play a central role in collaborating with the National Police Agency and the Ministry of Justice in planning and implementing education, counselling, and treatment programs for drinking-and-driving offenders in Japan.
4. To prepare a literature review examining biological markers of alcohol consumption and heavy drinking and their use in health care settings.
5. To provide technical contributions to WHO meetings and conferences on alcohol and health.
- To perform field trials and other relevant studies related to the proposed section on substance use disorders and addiction behaviours of the ICD-11 in Japan.
- To develop literature reviews and to draft recommendations concerning post-disaster psychosocial interventions to prevent alcohol- related harm.
- To build the capacities of health professionals in developing countries so as to reduce alcohol-related harm under the supervision of the WPRO.
- Substance abuse (including alcohol & drugs)
Types of activity:
- Training and education
WHO organization wide expected result:
6.4 - Evidence-based and ethical policies, strategies, recommendations, standards and guidelines developed, and technical support provided to Member States with a high or increasing burden of disease or death associated with alcohol, drugs and other psychoactive substance use, enabling them to strengthen institutions in order to combat or prevent the public health problems concerned.
+63 2 5289858
POZNYAK Vladimir B.
+41 22 79 14307
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork