Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Studies on the Health Effects of Mercury Compounds
Director / Head:
Dr Yasushi Mochizuki
National Institute for Minamata Disease
(81-966) 63 3111
(81-966) 61 1145
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- Collaborate with WHO to develop or strengthen surveillance systems in relation to health and environmental issues associated with mercury pollution in selected countries.
- By request of WHO, to conduct laboratory assessment of human and environmental exposure to mercury compounds.
- Collaborate with WHO to conduct assessment of human and environmental exposure in public health emergencies concerning mercury pollution in the Region and provide the necessary preventive and curative measures and response.
- Environmental health and hazards other than those specifically mentioned
- Chemical safety
- Health information; statistics; measurement & trend assessment
Types of activity:
- Development and application of appropriate technology
- Information dissemination
Ower: 8.1 - Evidence-based assessments made, and norms and standards formulated and updated on major environmental hazards to health (e.g., poor air quality, chemical substances, electromagnetic fields, radon, poor-quality drinking-water and waste-water reuse)
Ower: 8.2 - Technical support and guidance provided to Member States for the implementation of primary prevention interventions that reduce environmental hazards to health, enhance safety and promote public health, including in specific settings (e.g. workplaces, homes or urban settings) and among vulnerable population groups (e.g. children).
Ower: 8.3 - Technical assistance and support provided to Member States for strengthening national occupational and environmental health risk management systems, functions and services.
HASSAN Mohd Nasir
+63 2 5289886
+41 22 791 1286
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork