Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Reference, Research and Training on Tuberculosis
Director / Head:
Dr Nobukatsu ISHIKAWA
Research Institute of Tuberculosis (RIT)
Matsuyama 3-1-24 - 204-8533 Tokyo
(81-42) 493 5711
(81-42) 492 8258
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To organize training courses on TB-control, which are in-line with WHO guidelines, for program managers, physicians, nurses, epidemiologists, medical technologists, and others.
- To provide technical assistance to national tuberculosis control programs in developing countries to facilitate the implementation of WHO's Stop TB Strategy.
- To work with WHO to conduct and facilitate research activities in tuberculosis control and TB/HIV, particularly in epidemiological investigations, monitoring and evaluation of activities in TB control programs, strategy development for TB and TB/HIV control, and drug resistance surveillance.
- To function as Supranational Reference Laboratory for Cambodia, Mongolia and the Philippines, including providing technical assistance for laboratory strengthening (in-line with WHO policies and guidelines).
Types of activity:
- Training and education
- Providing technical advise to WHO
WHO organization wide expected result:
2.6 - New knowledge, intervention tools and strategies developed and validated to meet priority needs for the prevention and control of HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria, with scientists from developing countries increasingly taking the lead in this research.
VAN WEEZENBEEK Catharina Simonne Beatrix
+63 2 5289706
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork