Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Reference, Research and Training on Tuberculosis
Director / Head:
Dr Nobukatsu ISHIKAWA
Research Institute of Tuberculosis (RIT)
Matsuyama 3-1-24 - 204-8533 Tokyo
(81-42) 493 5711
(81-42) 492 8258
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To organize training courses on TB-control in-line with WHO’s strategies and guidelines, as well as incorporating the principles of Universal Health Coverage, for program managers, physicians, nurses, epidemiologists, medical technologists, and others.
- To provide technical assistance to national tuberculosis control programs in developing countries to facilitate the implementation of WHO's Stop TB Strategy.
- To work with WHO to conduct and facilitate research activities in tuberculosis control and TB/HIV, particularly in epidemiological investigations, monitoring and evaluation of activities in TB control programs, strategy development for TB and TB/HIV control, and drug resistance surveillance.
- To function as Supranational Reference Laboratory for Cambodia, Mongolia and the Philippines, including providing technical assistance for laboratory strengthening (in-line with WHO policies and guidelines).
Types of activity:
- Training and education
- Provision of reference substances and other services
1.2.1 - Intensified implementation of Stop TB Strategy to scale up care and control, with focus on reaching vulnerable populations, strengthening surveillance, and alignment with health sector plans facilitated
+63 2 5289706
+41 22 791 3989
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork