Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Research on Radiation Effects on Humans
Director / Head:
Dr Toshiteru OKUBO
Dr Kazinori KODAMA
Radiation Effects Research Foundation (RERF)
5-2 Hijiyama Park, Minami-ku - 732-0815
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To contribute to the radiation risk assessment agenda of WHO through providing the updates on RERF's research on radiation effects on man and collaboration in special investigations relevant to the subject of radiation effects on humans. The scope and extent of collaboration to be agreed on each case and depends on priorities set by both collaborating sides -WHO and RERF.
- To contribute to WHO REMPAN activities through cooperation and technical assistance on relevant tasks, if requested.
- To contribute to WHO BioDoseNet activities through cooperation and technical assistance on relevant tasks, if requested.
- To offer support to WHO in the field of education and training in the areas of radiation biology/biodosimetry, radiation epidemiology and biometry/statistics, including individual training programs at the RERF for foreign junior researchers under the WHO global fellowship program (subject to availability of funding)
- Emergency & humanitarian action
- Health information; statistics; measurement & trend assessment
Types of activity:
- Providing technical advise to WHO
- Product development (guidelines; manual; methodologies; etc.)
WHO organization wide expected result:
8.1 - Evidence-based assessments made, and norms and standards formulated and updated on major environmental hazards to health (e.g., poor air quality, chemical substances, electromagnetic fields, radon, poor-quality drinking-water and waste-water reuse)
5.5 - Support provided to Member States for strengthening national preparedness and for establishing alert and response mechanisms for food-safety and environmental health emergencies.
1.6 - Support provided to Member States in order to achieve the minimum core capacities required by the International Health Regulations (2005) for the establishment and strengthening of alert and response systems for use in epidemics and other public health emergencies of international concern.
+41 22 79 13483
+63 2 5289886
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork