Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Standardization and Evaluation of Biologicals
Director / Head:
Dr Atsushi Kato
Department of Bacterial Pathogenesis and Infection Control
National Institute of Infectious Diseases
4-7-1 Gakuen, Musashimurayama - 208-0011
(81-42) 848 7090
(81-42) 561 7173
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- 1. To support WHO in developing international written standards for regulatory evaluation of vaccines and biologicals.
- 2. To conduct laboratory studies & standardization exercises: i) Active contribution in design & organization of collaborative studies to establish international standards and reference materials; and ii) Regulatory research, particularly into the development of improved test methods.
- 3. To support WHO in the development and implementation of a training curriculum in vaccine and biological standardization.
- 4. To support WHO in assuring the quality control of vaccines and biologicals.
- 5. To assist WHO in implementing the newly developed guidelines into regulatory practice in the WPRO region.
- Health Technology (including laboratory services; but excluding blood safety)
Types of activity:
- Provision of reference substances and other services
- Development and application of appropriate technology
- Training and education
Ower: 1.1 - Policy and technical support provided to Member States in order to maximize equitable access of all people to vaccines of assured quality, including new immunization product and technologies, and to integrate other essential child-health interventions with immunization.
+63 2 5289745
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork