Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Transfusion Medicine
Director / Head:
NIDAL MUSTAFA IRSHAID
Dr Yarfas Karim
National Blood Bank, Ministry of Health
(962-6) 474 9123
(962-6) 474 9123
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- 1. To assist WHO in conducting training courses & workshops in the following areas: a) blood donor motivation & blood collection; b) blood transfusion organization & management; c) blood safety; d) component separation & preparation; e) laboratory aspects of blood transfusion; f) appropriate use of blood, blood components & blood derivatives; g) distance learning materias for safe blood & blood products. 2. Upon request from a country in the Eastern Mediterranean Region, the Blood Transfusion Centre will do, or arrange for, checking the quality of some basic instruments, certain batches of re-agents or products or materials to be purchased by that country.
- Assist WHO by technical expertitise for EMRO countries (Yemen, Iraq, Osbakistan ).
- Traning of techniqal stff from EMRO upon request from WHO ( Syria ,Yemen ,Palestine ,Iraq ).
- Blood Transfusion Safety and Blood Products
- Patient safety
Types of activity:
- Training and education
- Collection; collation and dissemination of information
- Organization of events (e.g. conferences; summits)
WHO organization wide expected result:
11.2 - International norms, standards and guidelines for the quality, safety, efficacy and cost effective use of medical products and technologies developed and their national and/or regional implementation advocated and supported.
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork