Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Family of International Classifications
Director / Head:
Dr Lucilla Frattura
Dr Gongolo Francesco
Classification Area, General Directorate
Regional Central Health Directorate
Via Pozzuolo 330
(+39) 0432 805626
(+39) 0432 805680
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- Assist WHO in developing, maintaining and revising the WHO Family of International Classifications (WHO-FIC) including the International Statistical Classification of Disease and Related Health problems (ICD), the International Classification of Functioning,Disability and Health (ICF), and other derived and related classifications, as well as relevant terminological and ontological aspects.
- Support the international and regional WHO-FIC work and participate actively in the work of the various committees and reference groups established to assist WHO in the development, testing, implementation, use, improvement, updating and revision of the members of the WHO-FIC.
- Network with current and potential users of the WHO-FIC and act as a reference centre for information about the WHO-FIC and other health-related classifications; and facilitate coordination and collaboration between WHO-FIC activities and of the relevant initiatives.
- Promote use of the WHO-FIC, through supporting (i) the translation of international WHO-FIC materials to the relevant language(s) for local use, (ii) the development and sharing of teaching materials, organization and conduct of training and education courses and (iii)the development and deployment of methodologies and instruments for the use of the WHO-FIC, in coordination with WHO.
- Improve the level and quality of implementation of WHO classifications, and supportquality assurance procedures of the WHO-FIC classifications regarding norms of use,training and data collection and application rules, in coordination with WHO.
- Health information; statistics; measurement & trend assessment
Types of activity:
- Information dissemination
- Training and education
- Collection; collation and dissemination of information
WHO organization wide expected result:
10.5 - Better knowledge and evidence for health decision-making assured through consolidation and publication of existing evidence, facilitation of knowledge generation in priority areas, and global leadership in health research policy and coordination, including with regard to ethical conduct.
KOSTANJSEK Nenad Friedrich Ivan
+41 22 79 13242
LOYOLA ELIZONDO Enrique Gerardo
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork