Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for the Study and Treatment of Thyroid Diseases and Other Endocrine and Metabolic Disorders
Director / Head:
Prof Aldo Pinchera
Dr Rosella Elisei
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Section of Endocrinology
University of Pisa
Via Paradisa, 2
(39-050) 544 723
(39-050) 578 772
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To assist WHO in assessing the endocrine and metabolic consequences related to the exposure to environmental chemicals and physical agents and to the defects or excess of micronutrients.
- To assist WHO in the assessment of the role of genetic factors in the development of some endocrine diseases.
- To assist WHO in providing education and training on matters related to the influence of environmental chemicals, endocrine disruptors and physical agents on endocrine diseases.
- To assist WHO in the development of health policies for the prevention and treatment of endocrine disorders related to the environment including supporting the international response to environmental related emergencies affecting the endocrine system.
(activities 10,11,12, 13)
- Noncommunicable diseases other than those specifically mentioned
Types of activity:
- Training and education
- Providing technical advise to WHO
Ower: 8.1 - Evidence-based assessments made, and norms and standards formulated and updated on major environmental hazards to health (e.g., poor air quality, chemical substances, electromagnetic fields, radon, poor-quality drinking-water and waste-water reuse)
Ower: 8.3 - Technical assistance and support provided to Member States for strengthening national occupational and environmental health risk management systems, functions and services.
Ower: 5.1 - Norms and standards developed, capacity built and technical support provided to Member States for the development and strengthening of national emergency preparedness plans and programmes.
+32 2 5064661
+41 22 79 11286
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork