Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Reference and Research on Poliomyelitis
Director / Head:
Dr Paola Stefanelli
Enterovirus Group, Department of MIPI
Istituto Superiore di Sanita
Viale Regina Elena 299
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- Provide support to 5 countries with National Polio Laboratories and 4 countries without National Laboratories in Eastern Europe, by conducting virological investigations of Acute Flaccid Paralysis (AFP) cases.
- Conduct AFP surveillance & environmental surveillance of enteroviruses in Italy by providing appropriate virological investigations.
- Monitoring of patients with primary or secondary immunodeficiency, to detect long term poliovirus excretors among Italian immunodeficient patients.
- Research on efficacy of antivirals against the poliovirus.
- Polio vaccines control and Batch release
Types of activity:
- Provision of reference substances and other services
- Providing technical advise to WHO
Ower: 1.2 - Effective coordination and support provided in order to achieve certification of poliomyelitis eradication, and destruction , or appropriate containment, of polioviruses, leading to a simultaneous cessation of oral poliomyelitis vaccination globally.
Ower: 1.4 - Policy and technical support provided to Member States in order to enhance their capacity to carry out surveillance and monitoring of all communicable diseases of public health importance.
+41 22 791 2503
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork