Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Reference and Research on Poliomyelitis
Director / Head:
DR Lucia FIORE
Enterovirus Group, Department of MIPI
Istituto Superiore di Sanita
Viale Regina Elena 299
(39-6) 4990 3256
(39-6) 4990 2082
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- Support for virological investigations to 5 countries with National Polio Laboratories and 4 countries without National Laboratories in western east Europe.
- Assisting linked countries to isolate, identify & characterize polioviruses & other enteroviruses from clinical samples of AFP patients. Countries with national polio lab provide viral isolates for identification & characterization.
- Typing & characterization of polioviruses & other enteroviruses isolated from healthy subjects & environmental samples will also be performed, upon request.
- Genetic analysis of polio & other enterovirus isolates.
- Monitoring of patients with primary or secondary immunodeficiency, to detect long term poliovirus excretors among Italian immunodeficient patients.
- Distribution of reference material (new cell lines, sera, etc.)
- Training activities.
- Organization & evaluation of proficiency tests (sub-national laboratories, & linked countries).
9. Research (new rapid diagnostic methods for enterovirus detection & serological investigations).
10. The centre will have links with the technical programme in WHO Headquarters & WHO Regional Office for Europe on polio eradication.
11. To perform AFP surveillance & environmental surveillance in Italy & all the virological investigations.
Types of activity:
- Provision of reference substances and other services
- Training and education
WHO organization wide expected result:
1.2 - Effective coordination and support provided in order to achieve certification of poliomyelitis eradication, and destruction , or appropriate containment, of polioviruses, leading to a simultaneous cessation of oral poliomyelitis vaccination globally.
1.4 - Policy and technical support provided to Member States in order to enhance their capacity to carry out surveillance and monitoring of all communicable diseases of public health importance.
+41 22 79 12503
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork