Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Community Control of Hereditary Diseases
Director / Head:
Prof Renzo GALANELLO
Struttura Complessa Microcitemie ed altre Malattie Ematologiche ASL8 Dipartimento di Scienze Biomediche e Biotecnologie
Universita degli Studi di Cagliari
Via Jenner s/n
(39-70) 609 5508 / 503 364
(39-70) 609 5509
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To act as a reference centre for training on management in the control of Haemoglobinopathies (i.e.diagnosis, treatment & prevention aspects).
- To further develop DNA methods for early diagnosis of herediatry (haemoglobin disorders) & other common genetic diseases in community.
- To assist WHO in developing a proper policy on genetic testing & screening in communities.
- To investigate possibilities for early genetic diagnosis of multifactorial disease (Type 1 diabetes, multiple sclerosis & celiac disease).
- To support & contribute to the Genomic Resource Centre/HQ, especially with regards to genetic diseases, health services & technologies & act as a resource on genetic issues raised at the WHO Regional Office for Europe in Copenhagen.
- Genetics & hereditary diseases
Types of activity:
- Product development (guidelines; manual; methodologies; etc.)
WHO organization wide expected result:
3.3 - Improvements made in Member States’ capacity to collect, analyse, disseminate and use data on the magnitude, causes and consequences of chronic noncommunicable diseases, mental and neurological disorders, violence, injuries and disabilities together with visual impairment, including blindness.
3.6 - Guidance and support provided to Member States to improve the ability of their health and social systems to prevent and manage chronic noncommunicable diseases, mental and behavioural disorders, violence, injuries and disabilities together with visual impairment, including blindness.
+41 22 79 13329
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork