Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Research, Reference & Training on Enterobacter Sakazakii
Director / Head:
UCD Centre for Food Safety
University College Dublin (UCD)
UCD Centre for Food Safety, UCD Veterinary Sciences Centre, University College Dublin, Belfield
(+353-1) 716 6082
(+353-1) 716 6091
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To analyze data and information for the development of intervention strategies in the infant formula food chain to reduce the risk of infection from E. sakazakii.
- To collect data and information required for microbiological risk assessment of E. sakazakii.
- To support WHO in the development of guidelines for the control and prevention of foodborne illness associated with E. sakazakii.
- To develop standardized methods used for the detection and enumeration and surveillance of E. sakazakii strains on a global basis.
- To assist WHO in capacity building for advanced laboratory skills especially for developing countries, to include molecular typing methods for E. sakazakii.
- To characterize and molecular type different strains of this organism and set up a global database of E.sakazakii.
- To monitor trends and evolution of E. sakazakii contamination worldwide.
- To perform research on intervention strategies in the food chain to decrease human exposure to E. sakazakii.
To collaborate with other WHO Centres in Food Safety and Microbiological Risk Assessment.
Types of activity:
- Providing technical advise to WHO
- Collection; collation and dissemination of information
WHO organization wide expected result:
BEN EMBAREK Peter Karim
+41 22 79 11498
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork