Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Oral Health Services Research
Director / Head:
Professor Helen Whelton
Oral Health Services Research Centre
University Dental School and Hospital University College Cork
University Dental School and Hospital
(353-21) 490 1210
(353-21) 454 5391
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To assist the WHO in establishing national plans for the effective use of water fluoridation for prevention of dental caries.
- To assist the WHO in development of accurate methods of measuring Enamel Fluorosis, as part of public health programmes.
- To assist WHO in improving the quality of oral health data collected for national health information systems.
- To assist WHO Global Health Programme in the development of data tools for improving the effectiveness of Oral Health Systems worldwide.
- To assist the WHO in building capacity of Oral Health Systems that meet the needs of disadvantaged and poor populations in developing countries.
- Oral health
- Health systems research & development
- Water & sanitation
Types of activity:
- Information dissemination
- Providing technical advise to WHO
WHO organization wide expected result:
3.1 - Advocacy and support provided to increase political, financial and technical commitment in Member States in order to tackle chronic noncommunicable diseases, mental and behavioural disorders, violence, injuries and disabilities together with visual impairment, including blindness.
6.1 - Advice and support provided to Member States to build their capacity for health promotion across all relevant programmes, and to establish effective multisectoral and multidisciplinary collaborations for promoting health and preventing or reducing major risk factors.
6.2 - Guidance and support provided in order to strengthen national systems for surveillance of major risk factors through development and validation of frameworks, tools and operating procedures and their dissemination to Member States where a high or increasing burden of death and disability is attributable to these risk factors.
PETERSEN Poul Erik
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork