Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Tuberculosis Research and Training
Director / Head:
Dr Soumya Swaminathan
National Institute for Research in Tuberculosis
Mayor V.R. Ramanathan Road (Old Spur Tank Road)
(91-44) 2836 2528
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To promote innovative approaches for better implementation of TB control strategies through operational research and the development and evaluation of new tools - drugs, diagnostics and vaccines
- To support assessments of the impact of TB control interventions and better determine trends in TB incidence, prevalence and mortality (including MDR-TB and TB/HIV)
- To support WHO’s efforts in human resource development and capacity building through skills development to scale up TB control interventions in line with the Stop TB Strategy
- Research policy & development
Types of activity:
- Product development (guidelines; manual; methodologies; etc.)
- Training and education
Ower: 2.2 - Policy and technical support provided to countries towards expanded gender-sensitive delivery of prevention, treatment and care interventions for HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria, including integrated training and service delivery; wider service-provider networks; and strengthened laboratory capacities and better linkages with other health services, such as those for sexual and reproductive health, maternal, newborn and child health, sexually transmitted infections, nutrition, drug-dependence treatment service respiratory care, neglected diseases and environmental health.
Ower: 2.4 - Global, regional and national systems for surveillance, evaluation and monitoring strengthened and expanded to keep track of progress towards targets and allocation of resources for HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria control and to determine the impact of control efforts and the evolution of drug resistance.
Ower: 2.6 - New knowledge, intervention tools and strategies developed and validated to meet priority needs for the prevention and control of HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria, with scientists from developing countries increasingly taking the lead in this research.
HYDER Md Khurshid Alam
+41 22 791 3989
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork