Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Research and Training on Diarrhoeal Diseases
Director / Head:
Dr. Sekhar Chakrabarti
Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR)
National Institute of Cholera & Enteric Diseases (NICED)
P-33, C.I.T. Road, Scheme XM Beliaghata
(91-33) 2363 3373 / 2370 1176
(91-33) 2363 2398 / (91-33) 2370 5066
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- •To develop training methodologies, teaching modules and conduct workshops for better management, prevention, control and laboratory diagnosis using classical and molecular techniques for diarrhoeal diseases.
- •Supply of diagnostic antisera especially against Vibrio cholerae O1 and O139 as and when require by member countries.
- •To conduct epidemiological investigations of cholera/diarrhoea epidemic(s) in different parts of the country & abroad and give advice and recommendations for preventing future epidemics.
- •·To serve as WHO Vibrio phage reference centre providing service for phage typing, serotyping and biotyping of Vibrio cholerae.
- Diarrhoeal diseases and cholera
- Cholera (see diarrhoeal diseases)
Types of activity:
- Collection; collation and dissemination of information
- Training and education
WHO organization wide expected result:
4.5 - Guidelines, approaches and tools for improving child health and development applied at the country level, with technical support provided to Member States for intensified action towards universal coverage of the population with effective interventions and for monitoring progress, taking into consideration international and human-rights norms and standards, notably those stipulated in the Convention on the Rights of the Child.
MASON Elizabeth Mary
+41 22 79 13281
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork