Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Research and Training on Diarrhoeal Diseases
Director / Head:
Dr. Shanta Dutta
Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR)
National Institute of Cholera & Enteric Diseases (NICED)
P-33, C.I.T. Road, Scheme XM Beliaghata
(91-33) 2363 3373 / 2370 1176
(91-33) 2363 2398 / (91-33) 2370 5066
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To conduct in-depth biomedical & operational research in diarrhoeal diseases of diverse aetiologies including typhoid fever, and Helicobacter pylori infections.
- To develop training methodologies, teaching modules and conduct workshops for better management, prevention, control and laboratory diagnosis using classical and molecular techniques for enteric diseases.
- To conduct epidemiological investigations of diarrhoeal diseases in different parts of the country & abroad including outbreak investigations and provide advice and recommendations for prevention and control.
- To serve as WHO Vibrio phage reference centre providing service for phage typing, serotyping and biotyping of Vibrio cholerae. NICED will extend assistance to various agencies identify, characterize and perform molecular typing of other strains of bacterial, viral and parasitic enteric pathogens.
- Diarrhoeal diseases and cholera
Types of activity:
- Collection and collation of information
- Training and education
3.1.2 - Countries’ capacity strengthened to expand high-quality interventions to improve child health and early child development and end preventable child deaths, including from pneumonia and diarrhoea
5.2.2 - Expert guidance and systems support in place for disease control, prevention, treatment, surveillance, risk assessment and risk communications
+41 22 791 3766
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork