Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Prevention of Blindness
Director / Head:
Prof Dr. Rajvardhan Azad
Dr Rajendra Prasad Centre for Ophthalmic Sciences
All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS)
(91-11) 2658 9695
(91-11) 2658 8919
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To continue participating actively in development of strategies for the Prevention of Blindness in countries in South-East Asia.
- To provide facilities for training & augmenting skills of eye care personnel of different professional levels in practicing eye care services in countries of the Region.
- To develop evidence in blindness prevention through conducting applied field research on the epidemiology, management & operational aspects of avoidable blindness, including program evaluation of vision 2020 in the Region.
- To foster a multi-disciplinary approach to the promotion of eye health & to the delivery of eye care to all.
- To collaborate with WHO-SEARO & related organizations in developing blindness information system, technical guidelines & other technical services.
- Prevention of blindness
Types of activity:
- Information dissemination
WHO organization wide expected result:
3.1 - Advocacy and support provided to increase political, financial and technical commitment in Member States in order to tackle chronic noncommunicable diseases, mental and behavioural disorders, violence, injuries and disabilities together with visual impairment, including blindness.
3.5 - Guidance and support provided to Member States for the preparation and implementation of multisectoral, population-wide programmes to promote mental health and to prevent mental and behavioural disorders, violence and injuries, together with hearing and visual impairment, including blindness
3.6 - Guidance and support provided to Member States to improve the ability of their health and social systems to prevent and manage chronic noncommunicable diseases, mental and behavioural disorders, violence, injuries and disabilities together with visual impairment, including blindness.
+41 22 79 11435
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork