Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Food and Nutrition Policies
Director / Head:
Professor Antonia TRICHOPOULOU
Department of Hygiene, Epidemiology and Medical Statistics
University of Athens Medical School
Mikras Asias 75, Goudi
(30-210) 746 2074
(30-210) 748 2079
Date of Designation:
Date of Discontinuation:
Terms of Reference:
- To support WHO and Member States in the development of food and nutrition policy design and national food-based dietary guidelines as being priority actions of the Second WHO European Action Plan for Food and Nutrition Policy 2007-2012. .
- To support WHO and Member States in the development of national and international surveillance systems on food availability and consumption (based on household budget surveys) as being one of the priority actions of the Second WHO European Action Plan for Food and Nutrition Policy 2007-2012.
- To support WHO in the assessment of the adequacy of the dietary intake of the general population in Member States.
- To assess the impact of eating out (meals taken outside home) on the obesity epidemic.
- To provide training/capacity building of health professionals on nutrition, physical activity and NCD risk factors in WHO Member States.
- To assess the nutritional properties of traditional foods and evaluate their role in modern nutrition
- Health promotion & education
- Noncommunicable diseases other than those specifically mentioned
Types of activity:
- Collection and collation of information
- Information dissemination
- Product development (guidelines; manual; methodologies; etc.)
Ower: 9.1 - Partnerships and alliances formed, leadership built and coordination and networking developed with all stakeholders at country, regional and global levels, in order to promote advocacy and communication, stimulate intersectoral actions, increase investment in nutrition, food-safety and food-security interventions, and develop and support a research agenda.
RODRIGUES DA SILVA BREDA Joao Joaquim
+45 45 33 67 25
+41 22 791 1025
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork