Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for the Community Control of Hereditary Diseases
Director / Head:
Dr Ersi VOSKARIDOU
National Centre for Thalassemia and Haemoglobinopathies
"Laiko" General Hospital
16 Sevastoupoleos Str. - GR-115 26
Date of Designation:
Date of Discontinuation:
Terms of Reference:
- To act as a reference centre at national level for the prevention and control of haemoglobinopathies, as well as other genetic diseases (cystic fibrosis, Gaucher disease).
- To assist WHO efforts in developing policies on genetic testing, screening & counselling in the international community & especially in neighbouring countries (Balkans, North Africa, Turkey).
- To provide support and collaboration for the actions set out for Member States in monitoring and evaluating, at the regional and global levels, progress in prevention and control of non communicable diseases.
- Noncommunicable diseases other than those specifically mentioned
Types of activity:
- Information dissemination
- Implementation of WHO programmes and activities at country level
- Training and education
Ower: 3.1 - Advocacy and support provided to increase political, financial and technical commitment in Member States in order to tackle chronic noncommunicable diseases, mental and behavioural disorders, violence, injuries and disabilities together with visual impairment, including blindness.
VARGHESE Cherian V.
+41 22 791 3634
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork