Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre in Global Change, Environment and Public Health
Director / Head:
Prof Jouni Jaakkola
Center for Environmental and Respiratory Health Research
University of Oulu
P.O.Box 5000 (Aapistie 5B)
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To support the WHO Regional Office for Europe in implementing the European Framework for Acton on climate change and health in the European and Nordic countries.
- 2) To contribute to the provision of research information to the WHO European Information platform in the research area of global change, environment and public health with special reference to extreme temperatures and other weather-related phenomena.
- 3) To contribute to WHO by providing case studies of regional and county-level multisectoral adaptation strategies and opportunities on extreme weather temperature populations.
- 4) To contribute with outreach and dissemination of information as per request from WHO.
- 5) To train students to continue capacity building on climate change, environment and health
- Environmental health and hazards other than those specifically mentioned
- Emergency & humanitarian action
- Health systems research & development
Types of activity:
- Training and education
- Product development (guidelines; manual; methodologies; etc.)
Ower: 8.6 - Evidence-based policies, strategies and recommendations developed, and technical support provided to Member States for identifying, preventing and tackling public health problems resulting from climate change.
Ower: 8.3 - Technical assistance and support provided to Member States for strengthening national occupational and environmental health risk management systems, functions and services.
+49 228 815 0423
+41 22 791 4261
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork