Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Noncommunicable Disease Prevention, Health Promotion and Monitoring
Director / Head:
Prof ERKKI VARTIAINEN
Dr Tiina Laatikainen
Department of Epidemiology and Health Promotion
National Public Health Institute (KTL)
Mannerheimintie 166 - FIN-00300
+358 20 610 6000
+358 20 610 8338
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- Support implementation of WHO/EURO and WHO Global NCD strategies in Finland in other countries.
- To collect, synthesise & disseminate information on best practices of population based NCD prevention, health promotion & related health-monitoring programmes.
- To arrange training & consultation for countries & centres working in planning, implementation & evaluation of NCD prevention & health promotion programmes, preferably with links to WHO.
- Health promotion & education
- Research policy & development
- Noncommunicable diseases other than those specifically mentioned
Types of activity:
- Collection; collation and dissemination of information
- Training and education
- Implementation of WHO programmes and activities at country level
WHO organization wide expected result:
3.2 - Guidance and support provided to Member States for the development and implementation of policies, strategies and regulations in respect of chronic noncommunicable diseases, mental and neurological disorders, violence, injuries and disabilities together with visual impairment, including blindness.
3.3 - Improvements made in Member States’ capacity to collect, analyse, disseminate and use data on the magnitude, causes and consequences of chronic noncommunicable diseases, mental and neurological disorders, violence, injuries and disabilities together with visual impairment, including blindness.
6.1 - Advice and support provided to Member States to build their capacity for health promotion across all relevant programmes, and to establish effective multisectoral and multidisciplinary collaborations for promoting health and preventing or reducing major risk factors.
+41 22 79 13299
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork