Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Social Determinants in Health
Director / Head:
Prof Marja Vaarama
Division of Welfare and Health Policies
National Institute for Health and Welfare (THL)
Mannerheimintie 166 P.O. Box 30
+358 20 610 6000
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To assist WHO in promoting and advancing know-how for a health and social equity in all policies approach among Member States, particularly those in the WHO European region.
- To contribute scientific and technical products to support WHO capacity building activities in the Member States, particularly those in the WHO European region, to tackle social determinants of health and to enhance health equity.
- To advance knowledge of methods for monitoring, measurement and analysis of equity in health systems, in collaboration with the WHO Regional Office for Europe.
- Health systems research & development
Types of activity:
- Providing technical advise to WHO
- Collection; collation and dissemination of information
- Organization of events (e.g. conferences; summits)
WHO organization wide expected result:
7.1 - Significance of social and economic determinants of health recognized throughout the organization and incorporated into normative work and technical collaboration with Member States and others partners.
7.2 - Initiative taken by WHO in providing opportunities and means for intersectoral collaboration at national and international levels to address social and economic determinants of health, including understanding and acting upon the public health implications of trade and trade agreements, and to encourage poverty-reduction and sustainable development.
7.3 - Social and economic data relevant to health collected, collated and analysed on a disaggregated basis (by sex, age, ethnicity, income, and health conditions, such as disease or disability).
+39 04 12793864
+41 22 79 13355
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork