Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Prevention, Control and Treatment of Tuberculosis
Director / Head:
Dr Arvid Nyberg
Finnish Lung Health Association (FILHA)
Sibeliuksenkatu 11A 1, FIN-00250
+358 9 4542 1220
+ 358 9 4542 1210
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To collaborate with WHO in supporting the implementation of the WHO recommended TB control strategy and training on TB control in North-West Russia, Middle and Eastern Europe and also in areas and regions of less developed low-to-mid income countries.
- To arrange annual, regular or as needed TB training courses for both physicians nurses in Estonia and North-West Russia, as well as in areas and regions of less developed low-to-mid income countries.
- To arrange national and international workshops and seminars on TB in collaboration with WHO, other international agencies (e.g. ministries, national public health institute).
- To plan and implement the National Tuberculosis Control Program 2007-2012 in Finland together with the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health, and the National Institute for Health and Wellfare.
- To continue work with, and support of, the PAL (Practical Approach to Lung Health) strategy by providing technical assistance, training and other possible activities.
Types of activity:
- Training and education
- Implementation of WHO programmes and activities at country level
WHO organization wide expected result:
2.1 - Guidelines, policy, strategy and other tools developed for prevention of, and treatment and care for patients with, HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria, including innovative approaches for increasing coverage of the interventions among poor people, and hard-to-reach and vulnerable populations.
2.2 - Policy and technical support provided to countries towards expanded gender-sensitive delivery of prevention, treatment and care interventions for HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria, including integrated training and service delivery; wider service-provider networks; and strengthened laboratory capacities and better linkages with other health services, such as those for sexual and reproductive health, maternal, newborn and child health, sexually transmitted infections, nutrition, drug-dependence treatment service respiratory care, neglected diseases and environmental health.
+41 22 79 12485
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork