Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Nursing
Director / Head:
Dr Marjaana Pelkonen
Nursing Research Institute
Asemamiehenkatu 2 - FIN-00520
+358 44 5290058
+358 9 22900240
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To work with WHO in order to build up the evidence base for nursing and midwifery practice through research, and to make sure it is used when changing the practice.
- To assist WHO in collecting and evaluating nursing science knowledge of acute national health issues and distributing summarized evidence for nurses, nurse managers, educators and other health care personnel.
- To contribute to WHO's efforts in ensuring that nursing and midwifery education/training programmes and continuing education programmes are adequate and updated.
- To contribute to the implementation of WHO Strategic Directions 2011-2015 for Nursing and Midwifery Services at national and regional level.
- To assist WHO in establishing collaboration between health and nursing institutions, universities and research institutes in order to strengthen development of evidence-based nursing.
Types of activity:
- Collection; collation and dissemination of information
- Training and education
- Implementation of WHO programmes and activities at country level
WHO organization wide expected result:
10.9 - Technical support provided to Member States, with a focus on those facing severe health-workforce difficulties in order to improve the production, distribution, skill mix and retention of the health workforce.
CANHA CAVACO DIAS Casimiro Jose
+45 45 33 66 39
NKOWANE Annette Mwansa
+41 22 79 14314
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork