Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Occupational Health
Director / Head:
Prof. Harri VAINIO
Finnish Institute of Occupational Health (FIOH)
Topeliuksenkatu 41 a A - FIN-00250
(358-30) 474 2344
(358-30) 474 2548
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- 1. To participate in and contribute to the work of the Network of the WHO Collaborating Centres in Occupational Health, & implementation of the WHO Global Strategy on Occupational Health for All and the WHO Global Plan of Action on Workers' Health (2008-2017).
- 2. To participate in and contribute to the work of the European Network of WHO Collaborating Centres and National Focal Points for Workers' Health.
- 3. To participate in regional studies & to carry out other functions as agreed between the Centre & the WHO Regional Office for Europe.
- 4. To collaborate with WHO in providing consultations and participating in working groups in various expertise areas according to mutual agreement (e.g. development of occupational health services, psychosocial aspects of work, prevention of occupational injuries, occupational toxicology, biological monitoring, development of work ability, evidence-based occupational health).
- 5. To undertake research in various fields on the basis of mutual agreement.
- 6. To support the implementation of WHO occupational health strategies at global and regional levels through information.
- 7. To provide training in occupational health, including coordination of training activities in developing countries, & short-term fellowships for orientation or specialized training on a restricted scale.
- 8. To provide assistance to the WHO-ILO-UNEP IPCS Programme.
9. To participate in the development of occupational health and safety indicators.
- Occupational health
Types of activity:
- Information dissemination
- Provision of reference substances and other services
WHO organization wide expected result:
8.3 - Technical assistance and support provided to Member States for strengthening national occupational and environmental health risk management systems, functions and services.
8.4 - Guidance, tools and initiatives created in order to support the health sector in influencing policies in other sectors to allow policies that improve health, the environment and safety to be identified and adopted.
KORTUM Evelyn G.
+41 22 79 13531
You can also contact:
- BROWN Richard John
KIM Rok Ho
+ 49 228 815 0421
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork