Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Schistosomiasis Control
Director / Head:
Dr Soheir Mansy
Clinical Laboratory Division
Theodor Bilharz Research Institute
Kornish El-Nile, Warak El-Hadar, Imbaba
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- Raising awareness of the quality assurance in all activities concerning the epidemiology of schistosomiasis, its prevention, control, management and communicate experience with other regional scientific institutions
- Provide technical support for the national program for the diagnosis, prevention, treatment and control of schistosomiasis and other relevant programs in the countries of the Eastern Mediterranean and African regions.
- Provide trainings to fellows from EMRO Member countries on different aspects of schistosomiasis (prevention, treatment, diagnosis , control) and prevalent endemic diseases to improve/foster their capabilities for conducting field and laboratory work (routine and research work).
- Continue providing scientific institutions with standard schistosome and other biological materials of schistosomaisis and other helminth infections to allow standard and sound experimentations .
- Encourage semifield research work on different aspects of snail control by making use of TBRI simmulated field station at Kanater.
- Develope and disseminate manuals, technical guidelines and scientific materials concerning different modalities for combating schistosomiasis adopted by TBRI according to WHO guidelines.
- Raise the skills of schistosomiasis professionals and auxiliary workers in surveillance, diagnosis and planning of control strategies in consistence with local governmental health strategy and WHO guidelines.
- Collaboration with WHO in their strategic programmes to help global research effort on infectious endemic diseases by providing available knowledge and research implementation on schistosomiasis and other prevalent endemic diseases.
Screening and evaluation of compounds for schistosomicidal and other antiparasitic activities, at laboratory and experimental levels.
Types of activity:
- Collection and collation of information
- Training and education
- Development and application of appropriate technology
ENGELS Dirk A.
+41 22 79 13824
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork