Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Emerging and Re-emerging Infectious Diseases
Director / Head:
Dr Emad Mohareb
Research Sciences Directorate
US Navy Medical Research Unit No. 3
3A Imtidad Ramses Street; Adjacent to Abbassia Fever Hospital
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To act as a referral center for laboratory diagnosis of communicable diseases.
- To provide technical expertise to countries in the region for early laboratory diagnosis of outbreaks associated with emerging or re-emerging bacterial, viral and parasitic infections with epidemic potential.
- To assist in outbreak investigation throughout the region.
- To inform WHO promptly in case of detection of emerging or unusual occurrence of diseases, outbreaks or pertinent epidemiological findings that may constitute a risk of international transmission of diseases.
- To train nationals from countries of the region in laboratory diagnosis and investigation methodology for emerging and re-emerging infectious diseases.
- To undertake operational research on effective strategies for control of infectious diseases with epidemic potential.
- To participate in establishment of regional and global network for communicable diseases.
- To act as a refence laboratory for rotavirus samples in the EMRO that receives and analyzes potential rotavirus samples for analysis.
To act as a Reference Laboratory for Malaria Microscopy and Antimalarial Drug Resistance.
Act a Reference Laboratory for Influenza including H5N1 and H1N1.
- Communicable diseases other than those specifically mentioned
- Bacterial diseases other than those specifically mentioned
- Emergency & humanitarian action
Types of activity:
- Training and education
- Outbreaks and emergencies
Ower: 1.1 - Policy and technical support provided to Member States in order to maximize equitable access of all people to vaccines of assured quality, including new immunization product and technologies, and to integrate other essential child-health interventions with immunization.
Ower: 8.4 - Guidance, tools and initiatives created in order to support the health sector in influencing policies in other sectors to allow policies that improve health, the environment and safety to be identified and adopted.
MALIK SK MD Mamunur
+202 227 65583
You can also contact:
- MAFI Ali R.
FORMENTY Pierre B.H.
+41 22 79 12550
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork