Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Mental Health Research and Training
Director / Head:
Professor Ahmed Okasha
Professor Mohamed Ghanem
Institute of Psychiatry
Ain Shams University Hospitals
Institute of Psychiatry, Ain Shams University Hospitals
Date of Designation:
Date of Discontinuation:
Terms of Reference:
- To promote activities for the collection, recording & dissemination of data.
Especially with other psychiatric deparments in the 17 universities in Egypt and the departemnets of clinical psychology with exchange of information with other centres.
- To promote standardization of terminology & nomenclature for diagnostic techniques & for treatment of mental disorders.
Based on ICD-10 and its correlation with DSM IV-TR using the Arabic text translated by the WHO nad the institute of psychiatry
- To promote the development & implementation of adequate technologies for mental health care.
In collaboration with National Council for Mental Health in the Ministry of health and population in Egypt.
- To participate in collaborative research, with application of results.
Several collaborative research work with WHO EMRO countries last one is Integrated Response of Health Care Systems to Rapid Populations Ageing (INTRA 1)
- To promote training in delivery of services & in research.
With mental health professionals in universities, MOH and private practice
- To promote coordination of research between & with national & foreign centres.
Collaboration woth UCLA, Univerity hospitals in London (Guy's hospital) High council for the combating of addction, institute of nursing, world psychiatric association and liason with medical socities eg. Egyptian society for cardiology and the Egyptian sociaty for pediatrics, etc...
- To assist as advisory pannel for the feedback for the ICD 11 from the EMRO, previously the centre was the leader for the EMRO field studies for the ICD 10.
- Promoting structured examination for the training of psychiatrists according to the recommendations of the world federation for medical education
Conducting specific research in the field of mental health and addiction in conjunction with the high council of addiction and the centre for social and criminological research.
- Mental health & neurosciences
- Health promotion & education
Types of activity:
- Collection and collation of information
- Training and education
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork