Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome
Director / Head:
CAPT Robin M. Wilkening
US Navy Medical Research Unit No. 3 (NAMRU 3)
Department of the Navy
3A Imtidad Ramses street, adjacent to Abbasia Fever Hospital
(20-2) 2342 1381 / 8505
(20-2) 2342 1382
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To act as a referral center for laboratory diagnosis of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV).
- To provide technical expertise to countries in the region for laboratory diagnosis of HIV.
- To train nationals from countries of the region in laboratory diagnosis of HIV.
- To inform WHO promptly in case of detection of emerging or unusual occurrence of diseases, outbreaks or pertinent epidemiological findings that may constitute a risk of international transmission of diseases.
- To act as a refence laboratory for HIV specimens in the Eastern Mediterranean Region.
- To assist in outbreak investigation throughout the region.
Types of activity:
- Collection; collation and dissemination of information
- Implementation of WHO programmes and activities at country level
WHO organization wide expected result:
2.2 - Policy and technical support provided to countries towards expanded gender-sensitive delivery of prevention, treatment and care interventions for HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria, including integrated training and service delivery; wider service-provider networks; and strengthened laboratory capacities and better linkages with other health services, such as those for sexual and reproductive health, maternal, newborn and child health, sexually transmitted infections, nutrition, drug-dependence treatment service respiratory care, neglected diseases and environmental health.
+41 22 79 14685
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork