Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Reproductive Toxicology
Director / Head:
Department of Toxicology, Unit of Reproductive Toxicology, Institute for Toxicology and Embryo Pharmacology, University Clinic Benjamin Franklin
Free University of Berlin
(49-30) 8445 1750
(49-30) 8445 1761
Date of Designation:
Date of Discontinuation:
Terms of Reference:
- To assist in the toxicity evaluation of environmental contaminants at exposures relevant to humans, including consideration of mixture effects.
- To improve the skills of toxicologists and risk assessors in the field of reproductive and developmental toxicity risk assessment, by providing continuing education (advanced training), including to scientists from developing countries.
- To contribute to the WHO/IPCS Project on the Harmonization of the Approaches to the Assesmsent of Risk from Exposure to Chemicals, by facilitating international harmonization of terminology/classification of anomalies found in developmental toxicity studies.
- To facilitate scientific debate and understanding in relation to topical issues in the field of reproductive toxicology, and explore possible risk assessment methodologies, by convening international workshops to promote discussion and exchange of views.
- To promote international cooperation, in particular with institutions in Brazil, China, Syria, Egypt and Nigeria, in the field of reproductive toxicology. Joint research, training, and scholar exchange programmes promote knowledge transfer.
- Chemical safety
Types of activity:
- Training and education
- Organization of events (e.g. conferences; summits)
WHO organization wide expected result:
+41 22 79 11286
+49 228 8150405
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork