Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Air Quality Management & Air Pollution Control
Director / Head:
Dr Andreas Gies
Dept. II 1 - Environmental Hygiene
Federal Environment Agency (Umweltbundesamt/UBA)
(49-30) 8903 1281
(49-30) 8903 1283
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To foster the exchange of information with and between the air quality and the health-relevant monitoring and assessment networks in the WHO European Region, expanding to EECCA.
- To disseminate information on WHO programmes and activities on ambient and indoor air quality and hygiene.
- To support WHO in projects/activities on the evaluation of air pollution, and climate change impacts on human health.
- To assist WHO projects related to air hygiene and climate change in the preparation, update and revision of WHO documents.
- To organize technical workshops and expert meetings on air quality management and air pollution control (in co-operation with WHO, particularly with EECCA, and other international organizations, such as EU).
- Environmental health and hazards other than those specifically mentioned
- Health information; statistics; measurement & trend assessment
Types of activity:
- Providing technical advise to WHO
- Information dissemination
- Organization of events (e.g. conferences; summits)
WHO organization wide expected result:
8.1 - Evidence-based assessments made, and norms and standards formulated and updated on major environmental hazards to health (e.g., poor air quality, chemical substances, electromagnetic fields, radon, poor-quality drinking-water and waste-water reuse)
+49 228 815 0437
DORA Carlos Francisco C.
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork