Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for the Prevention of Oral Disease
Director / Head:
Dr. Bernd Sigusch
Department of Preventive Dentistry, Dental School of Erfurt Friedrich Schiller
University of Jena
49 3641 935479
49 3641 933742
Date of Designation:
Date of Discontinuation:
Terms of Reference:
- The Centre follows and supports the objectives of the WHO Global Oral Health Programme outlined in "Oral Health: action plan for promotion and integrated disease prevention".
- Collaboration with health authorities to implement oral health programmes into the "healthy city project/social city project".
- To continue the collaboration with the public oral health centres of Erfurt, Jena and with other German regions. The centre will provide for scientific support for the implementation and evaluation of public dental health programmes.
- Strategy on diet, physical activity, mental and social well-being: Collaboration with appropriate organisations and performance of joint activities to optimize general and oral health in children, adults and seniors as well as their social well being.
- Implemention of an oral hygiene programm for school beginners and its effects on oral health with special emphasise on plaque reduction.
- Development of new strategies for prevention and treatment of traditional oral diseases
- Analysis of risk factors, application and evaluation of new optimised treatment concepts and post-operative treatment concepts for patients with cancer in the head and neck region.
- To develop oral health concepts for elderly and handicapped patients in close cooperation with regional oral health authorities and to provide basic prosthetic care for patients of low social economic status
9. To continue the collaboration with the WHOCC Minsk, Belarus, WHOCC Moscow, Russia and different universities of Eastern European countries and Brazil
10. To provide consultant assistance to WHO upon requirement.
- Oral health
- Health promotion & education
Types of activity:
- Collection and collation of information
Ower: 3.4 - Improved evidence compiled by WHO on the cost-effectiveness of interventions to tackle chronic noncommunicable diseases, mental and neurological and substance-use disorders, violence, injuries and disabilities together with visual impairment, including blindness.
PETERSEN Poul Erik
+41 22 79 13475
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork