Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for the Health of Seafarers
Director / Head:
Prof Volker Harth
Department of Occupational Medicine
Institute for Occupational and Maritime Medicine (ZfAM)
(49-40) 428 894 501
(49-40) 428 894 514
Date of Designation:
Date of Discontinuation:
Terms of Reference:
- Collaborate and network with CCs for Occupational Health with emphasis on prevention of occupational asthma and developing analytical tools for isocyanate exposure in workplaces.
- To collaborate with the network of CCs for implementation of IHR at Points of Entry, providing technical support to WHO in the certification of ports and airports according to Article 20 of IHR 2005, identifying and strengthening resources for training, service and consultation on regional, national and international levels. To create scientific evidence and guidelines, define areas of scientific uncertainty concerning public health measures under IHR at Points of Entry and call the attention of the scientific community and of funding agencies to the field of research. Support of PAGNET network.
- To carry out research on the utilization of telemedicine and prepare evidence-based guidelines on the utilization of telemedical equipment.
- To perform research on risks of skin cancer, injuries, infectious disorders and fatigue in seafarers and recommend appropriate preventive measures (including alignment of the Medical Chest).
- To perform studies on stress and strain in various occupations with special regard of gender aspects and situations in developing countries.
- To standardize and improve health surveillance and fine diagnostics for asbestos workers and propose respective evidence-based recommendations.
- Define health hazards due to phytosanitary demands in transport of goods and improve preventive exposure assessment.
- Occupational health
Types of activity:
- Development and application of appropriate technology
- Information dissemination
Ower: 8.3 - Technical assistance and support provided to Member States for strengthening national occupational and environmental health risk management systems, functions and services.
KORTUM Evelyn G.
+41 22 791 3531
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork