Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Rabies Surveillance & Research
Director / Head:
Dr Thomas Müller
Institute for Molecular Biology
Friedrich-Loeffler-Institut, Federal Research Institute for Animal Health
Greifswald - Insel Riems
(49-38) 351 7-1102
(49-38) 351 7-1151
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To conduct & coordinate research on rabies based on WHO recommendations. Areas of research are laboratory diagnosis of rabies, rabies epidemiology inlcuding in new carnivore host species & European bats as well as oral vaccination of wild carnivores & domestic dogs.
- To collect & analyze rabies surveillance data & to distribute on behalf of WHO the information to collaborating institutions.
To further develop the WHO Rabies Bulletin for Europe (RBE) as a source of information on rabies surveillance & research in Europe.
- To provide support & expertise to WHO Member States upon WHO request for surveillance & control of rabies
- To provide training in the fields of rabies epidemiology & laboratory diagnosis to WHO Member States upon WHO request .
- To standardize techniques & reagents & distribute WHO reagents to national laboratories.
Types of activity:
- Collection; collation and dissemination of information
- Training and education
Ower: 1.3 - Effective coordination and support provided to Member States in order to provide access for all populations to interventions for the prevention, control, elimination and eradication of neglected tropical diseases, including zoonotic diseases.
+41 22 79 12072
BROWN Caroline Sarah
+45 45 33 66 33
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork