Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Rabies Surveillance & Research
Director / Head:
Dr Thomas Müller
Institute for Molecular Biology
Friedrich-Loeffler-Institut, Federal Research Institute for Animal Health
Greifswald - Insel Riems
(49-38) 351 7-1102
(49-38) 351 7-1151
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To conduct and coordinate research on rabies based upon recommendations of the WHO expert committees, scientific groups and other consultative meetings. Areas of research are oral vaccination of wildlife & dogs, epidemiological and laboratory diagnostics of rabies, and epidemiology of rabies in neozoa and European bats.
- To collect & analyze rabies surveillance data & to distribute the information to collaborating institutes. To further develop the European database for rabies as an interdisciplinary platform and information source of rabies surveillance & research in Europe and as a template for other regions.
- To contribute to the Global Health Observatory of the WHO by providing expert knowledge and available rabies surveillance and related data or information
- To provide support & expertise for surveillance & control measures of rabies
- To provide training in the fields of epidemiology & laboratory diagnostics.
- To standardize techniques & reagents & distribute WHO reagents to other laboratories.
- To undertake consultative work for WHO & other laboratories upon request.
Types of activity:
- Collection and collation of information
- Training and education
1.4.2 - Implementation and monitoring of neglected tropical disease control interventions facilitated by evidence-based technical guidelines and technical support
1.4.3 - New knowledge, solutions and implementation strategies that respond to the health needs of disease-endemic countries developed through strengthened research and training
+41 22 791 2072
BROWN Caroline Sarah
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork