Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Health Promoting Water Management and Risk Communication
Director / Head:
Professor Thomas Kistemann
Dr Andrea Rechenburg
Institute for Hygiene and Public Health
University of Bonn
(49-228) 287 14885
(49-228) 287 19516
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- Water-related disease surveillance: To collect, analyze and disseminate data on water-related disease including application of GIS-based approaches.
- Risk assessment and risk management: To provide environmental information and methods for health risk assessment and holistic water management concepts, including GIS-based approaches.
- Communication of health risks: To produce and disseminate guidance documents, teaching aids and awareness-raising materials on health-significant aspects of water management for technical staff, policy-makers, planners and the general public based on recent knowledge, experiences and recommendations on risk communication
- Technical guidance documentation: To lead & coordinate the preparation of technical guidelines on tentatively selected topic areas.
- Training: To organise group training on health promoting water management & risk communication, particularly addressing the needs of health & water agencies in less developed countries.
- Water & sanitation
Types of activity:
- Information dissemination
- Product development (guidelines; manual; methodologies; etc.)
Ower: 8.1 - Evidence-based assessments made, and norms and standards formulated and updated on major environmental hazards to health (e.g., poor air quality, chemical substances, electromagnetic fields, radon, poor-quality drinking-water and waste-water reuse)
+49 228 8150473
GORDON Bruce Allan
+41 22 791 2728
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork