Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Community Control of Thalassaemia
Director / Head:
Dr Androulla ELEFTHERIOU
Cyprus Thalassaemia Centre for Community Control of Thalassaemia, Ministry of Health
31 Ifigenias Street
+357 22 319129
+357 22 314552
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To act as a Reference Centre for training of health professionals on all aspects of prevention and clinical management
- To act as a Reference Centre for the education of patients and parents
- Monitor progress in the implementation of national control programmes.
- To assist WHO in producing publications and guidelines on the management and prevention (control) of thalassaemia and other haemoglobinopathies.
- Genetics & hereditary diseases
- Health promotion & education
- Health information; statistics; measurement & trend assessment
Types of activity:
- Training and education
- Collection and collation of information
- Organization of events (e.g. conferences; summits)
Ower: 3.3 - Improvements made in Member States’ capacity to collect, analyse, disseminate and use data on the magnitude, causes and consequences of chronic noncommunicable diseases, mental and neurological disorders, violence, injuries and disabilities together with visual impairment, including blindness.
VARGHESE Cherian V.
+41 22 791 3634
+45 45 33 68 71
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork