Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for the Development of Genetic Approaches for Health Promotion
Director / Head:
Prof Beatriz Marcheco-Teruel
Centro Nacional de Genetica Medica
Instituto Superior de Ciencias Medicas
Ave.31 Esq.146 No.3102 Rpto Cubanacan. Playa
+53 7 208 0438
+53 7 273 1502
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To assist WHO in the implementation of resolutions EB117.R3 and WHA59-20 on sickle cell anemia in the PAHO region by developing further approaches for sickle cell & other hereditary disease control programs at the community level.
- To contribute to WHO effort in promoting community genetic services, by investigating the approaches for optimal organization & delivery of genetic services in primary health care.
- To contribute to WHO effort in the prevention and control of non communicable diseases by improving early identification and diagnosis of familial multifactorial diseases at the community genetic services.
- To provide information on research & development in the field of genetics & genomics in Cuba, to be included in the WHO/HQ Genomic Resource Center (GRC).
- To assist AMRO and other countries in the Americas on genetic issues, especially training of health workers and educating the population and in establishing national programs.
- Genetics & hereditary diseases
- Health promotion & education
- Health systems research & development
Types of activity:
- Development and application of appropriate technology
- Collection and collation of information
- Training and education
Ower: 3.1 - Advocacy and support provided to increase political, financial and technical commitment in Member States in order to tackle chronic noncommunicable diseases, mental and behavioural disorders, violence, injuries and disabilities together with visual impairment, including blindness.
Ower: 3.3 - Improvements made in Member States’ capacity to collect, analyse, disseminate and use data on the magnitude, causes and consequences of chronic noncommunicable diseases, mental and neurological disorders, violence, injuries and disabilities together with visual impairment, including blindness.
Ower: 3.5 - Guidance and support provided to Member States for the preparation and implementation of multisectoral, population-wide programmes to promote mental health and to prevent mental and behavioural disorders, violence and injuries, together with hearing and visual impairment, including blindness
VARGHESE Cherian V.
+41 22 791 3634
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork