Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for the Development of the Virtual Health Library
Director / Head:
Sra. Damiana Martin
Centro Nacional de Información de Ciencias Médicas
Calle 27 No. 110 entre m y, N, Vedado -
(53-7) 832 4402 / 832 2004
(53-7) 833 3063
Date of Designation:
Date of Discontinuation:
Terms of Reference:
- Technical cooperation in the development of the Virtual Health Library, emphasizing on Caribbean and Central America countries: a) promotion of the Virtual Health Library conceptual model for Health information and knowledge management; b) assist in the development of national plans for the VHL construction; c) training human resources in the VHL methodology at managerial and technical levels; d) assistance in the development, operation and evaluation of information sources in the VHL; e) promotion of a common practice in adopting the VHL model.
- Development of human resources specialized in information and knowledge management: a) implementing a program of internship in health information and knowledge management; b) offering an annual distance course in health information and knowledge management.
- Cooperation with BIREME in new VHL methodologies and technologies to promote equitable access to health information: a) research on and creation of VHL new methodological and technological components, on the basis of web services suitable for the conditions of this region; b) evaluation, adaptation and application of the methodological and technological components available worldwide for managing digital collections and incorporating them into the VHL; c) promoting an interactive model between users and information resources, through the development of a social platform based on web trends; d) setting together with BIREME common practice in relation to VHL methodological and technological problems.
- Library services & publishing
Types of activity:
- Collection and collation of information
- Product development (guidelines; manual; methodologies; etc.)
- Training and education
Ower: 10.7 - Knowledge management and eHealth policies and strategies developed and implemented in order to strengthen health systems.
Ower: 10.4 - Country health-information systems that provide and use high-quality and timely information for health planning and for monitoring progress towards national and major international goals strengthened.
TARDELLI Adalberto Otranto
ROBERTS Ian Francis
+41 22 79 12074
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork