Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Tuberculosis and other Mycobacteria
Director / Head:
Professor Ernesto Montoro
National Reference & Research Laboratory on Tuberculosis & Mycobacteria Instituto "Pedro Kouri" (IPK)
Autopista Novía del Mediodia Km 6 1/2, La Lisa.
Apdo Postal 601, Marianao 13
Ciudad de La Habana
(53-7) 202 0448
(53-7) 204 6051
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- 1. International Reference Laboratory on Tuberculosis & Mycobacteria: a) To participate with the results from Cuba in Global Projects on Anti-tuberculosis Drug Resistance Surveillance organized by WHO/IUATLD. b) To perform activities of confirmation & reference of diagnosis of the sub-region.
- Training Courses: a) To organize annually International Courses or Workshops on Tuberculosis for Latin American professionals.
- International Research on Tuberculosis: a) To participate on epidemiological & operational investigations on Tuberculosis. b) To evaluate &/or develop new tools for diagnosing & researching of Tuberculosis.
- Register & Information: a) To develop & evaluate a laboratory information computational system according to the IUATLD/WHO rules.
- Bacterial diseases other than those specifically mentioned
Types of activity:
- Training and education
WHO organization wide expected result:
2.1 - Guidelines, policy, strategy and other tools developed for prevention of, and treatment and care for patients with, HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria, including innovative approaches for increasing coverage of the interventions among poor people, and hard-to-reach and vulnerable populations.
2.3 - Global guidance and technical support provided on policies and programmes in order to promote equitable access to essential medicines, diagnostic tools and health technologies of assured quality for the prevention and treatment of HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria, and their rational use by prescribers and consumers, and, in order to ensure uninterrupted supplies of diagnostics, safe blood and blood products, injections and other essential health technologies and commodities.
DEL GRANADO Mirtha
+41 22 79 12485
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork