Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Leshmaniasis
Director / Head:
Dr Nancy SARAVIA
Fundacion Centro Internacional de Entrenamiento e Investigaciones Médicas (CIDEIM)
Carrera 125 No. 19 - 225 Avenida La Maria, Pance
Valle del Cauca
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- Provision of technical support for the Regional Leishmaniasis Program for activities of diagnosis, treatment, surveillance and control of leishmaniasis through:
• Training and capacity building in diagnostic methods relevant to the Leishmaniasis Control Programs of countries in the region.
• Missions and technical cooperation to improve and support laboratory-based diagnosis in regional countries endemic for leishmaniasis
• Technical support for the Regional Leishmaniasis Program in meetings, training and technical analysis
• Receipt and processing of samples for diagnosis of leishmaniasis in endemic countries, when requested and agreed.
• Species identification and biobank services: conservation and distribution of species reference strains and monoclonal antibodies used in typing of New World species of Leishmania.
• Monitoring of drug susceptibility of Leishmania affecting human populations in the region
• Technical support in other areas of competence as may be needed by the Regional Leishmaniasis Program
- Promote and support the implementation of the recommendations of the WHO and PAHO Technical Report Series #949 “Control of the Leishmaniases” and “Leishmaniasis in the Americas: Treatment Recommendations” in Colombia and the Region through:
• Technical support in the development, revision and validation of guidelines and standard procedures for the diagnosis, treatment, prevention and control of leishmaniasis
• Validation of non-invasive diagnostic tools in collaboration with investigators in the region
• Technical expertise and support for the comparative evaluation and validation of molecular typing methods for Leishmania species transmitted in the region
• Contribution and communication of results and findings obtained through research by the WHOcc
Note: The participation of the WHO Collaborating Center in the development of guidelines for standardized procedures or other documents will be acknowledged in the same manner as the other institutional participants. Research conducted by the WHOcc may have consultant support from the WHO but will not be sponsored by WHO. Technical support and training activities will be undertaken in accordance with the availability of resources and the terms of the corresponding technical services contracts
- Vector biology & control
Types of activity:
- Provision of reference substances and other services
- Training and education
Ower: 1.3 - Effective coordination and support provided to Member States in order to provide access for all populations to interventions for the prevention, control, elimination and eradication of neglected tropical diseases, including zoonotic diseases.
Ower: 4.8 - Guidelines, approaches, tools, and technical assistance provided to Member States for increased advocacy for consideration of ageing as a public health issue, for the development and implementation of policies and programmes aiming at maintaining maximum functional capacity throughout the life course and for the training of healthcare providers in approaches that ensure healthy ageing.
Ower: 13.3 - Human resource policies and practices in place to attract and retain top talent, promote learning and professional development, manage performance, and foster ethical behaviour.
DAGNE Daniel Argaw
+41 22 791 4532
You can also contact:
- ELKHOURY Ana Nilce
- RUIZ POSTIGO Jose Antonio
ELKHOURY Ana Nilce
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork