Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Center for Cancer Prevention and Control
Director / Head:
Dr Yu-tang Gao
Shanghai Cancer Institute
2200 Xie-Tu Road
Date of Designation:
Date of Discontinuation:
Terms of Reference:
- To establish a cancer monitoring system including systematic collection of data on cancer incidence and mortality and data analysis to obtain survival in collaboration with IARC (WHO), Lyon. To begin conducting studies and surveys on prevalence of exposure to known important risk factors of cancer.
- To explore an appropriate and feasible programme on prevention of common cancers in communities, which would become a WHO demonstration project on cancer control in the Shanghai Municipality. This includes: programs to raise awareness for early cancer symptoms and health promotion by means of cancer prevention activities.
- To improve quality of life of cancer patients discharged from hospitals and resided in communities and develop a practical model for terminal care for cancer patients in communities.
- To support capacity building for cancer epidemiology and cancer control for researchers and health workers.
- To participate in WHO collaborative research on cancers including the planning, conducting, monitoring and evaluation of research projects and support WHO`s comprehensive approach to cancer control.
Types of activity:
Ower: 3.2 - Guidance and support provided to Member States for the development and implementation of policies, strategies and regulations in respect of chronic noncommunicable diseases, mental and neurological disorders, violence, injuries and disabilities together with visual impairment, including blindness.
ULLRICH Andreas W.H.
+41 22 791 1292
+63 2 5289860
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork