Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Malaria, Schistosomiasis and Filariasis
Director / Head:
Dr Xiao-Nong Zhou
Institute of Parasitic Diseases (IPD)
Chinese Center for Diseases Control and Prevention (China CDC)
207 Rui Jin Er Lu
(86-21) 6437 6308
(86-21) 6433 2670
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- Conduct collaborative basic and operational research to contribute to WHO's efforts in controling malaria, schistosomiasis and other parasitic diseases
- Collaborate with WHO to develop and improve guidance and tool to control parasitic diseases
- Collaborate with WHO to evaluate the burden, strategies and intervention for major parasitic diseases
- Exchange information and knowledge on parasitic diseases affecting humans
- Provide technical collaboration and capacity building on tropical parasitic diseases at the national, regional and global levels
- Parasitic diseases other than those specifically mentioned
Types of activity:
- Information dissemination
- Product development (guidelines; manual; methodologies; etc.)
Ower: 1.3 - Effective coordination and support provided to Member States in order to provide access for all populations to interventions for the prevention, control, elimination and eradication of neglected tropical diseases, including zoonotic diseases.
Ower: 2.1 - Guidelines, policy, strategy and other tools developed for prevention of, and treatment and care for patients with, HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria, including innovative approaches for increasing coverage of the interventions among poor people, and hard-to-reach and vulnerable populations.
Ower: 2.6 - New knowledge, intervention tools and strategies developed and validated to meet priority needs for the prevention and control of HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria, with scientists from developing countries increasingly taking the lead in this research.
+63 2 5289723
ENGELS Dirk A.
+41 22 79 13824
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork